Starting the conversion from Airtable to Smartsuite

I’m starting to convert our internal and client facing app to use Smartsuite from Airtable. I’m doing a little at a time but its turned out to be quite a big task. I have a few questions if anyone can answer:

Update frequency - On the Noloco Smartsuite youtube video Darragh mentioned that the integration with Smartsuite was faster because they utilize webhooks to trigger the updates. Is this available on all pricing plans? One of the features of Pro vs Business that I can’t seem to give up is faster syncing times, which is critical to the user experience on my app as we do real-time calculations frequently. If I switch to Pro I’ll be paying the same amount as I do now minus the priority syncing, and I only have 5 users.

Replacing the Noloco Data Source -
Has anyone replaced Airtable with Smartsuite? Is there a way to keep the Noloco UI and replace the data source so I don’t have to build all of the pages and functionality again?

Hey @Burgomeister , welcome to the community :wave:

Update frequency - On the Noloco Smartsuite youtube video Darragh mentioned that the integration with Smartsuite was faster because they utilize webhooks to trigger the updates. Is this available on all pricing plans?

In our SmartSuite guide, we describe how often your data gets synced, SmartSuite data is synced to Noloco as soon as SmartSuite notify Noloco of a change, usually within 30 seconds.

Priority vs Standard doesn’t come into it for SmartSuite.

Is there a way to keep the Noloco UI and replace the data source so I don’t have to build all of the pages and functionality again?

This isn’t possible actually, at least not automatically. Each view is tied to the table and fields within it, a new data source would have totally new tables and fields, if that makes sense.

That said, lots of people have moved from Airtable → SmartSuite or indeed Airtable → Postgres or Airtable → Noloco tables.

I hope this helps

Yes this helps thank you! This conversion is going to be a big project but probably worth it in the long run. There are a few things I’m going to miss with Airtable which is the foreach loop automation and running scripts but I think Noloco can fill in for the foreach loop and make.com can pick up the rest.

@Burgomeister we’ve run into similar problems with migrations. We’re in the process of migrating a SmartSuite/Noloco app to run purely on Noloco and it’s been fun and challenging.

One thing we have found is that the Noloco integration with Make is really powerful but often requires GraphQL queries to pull the right data. SmartSuite’s Make options are really robust but there’s the time delay from doing the hops between Noloco → SmartSuite → Make → SmartSuite → Noloco.

Good luck with your migration! You’ll have to let us know how it goes once it’s all complete.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I’m going to look into converting one of my tools that isn’t linked to any of the main tables to use Noloco as the database and see how it goes. There are a lot of calculations that happen so it will be a good test.
If I can figure out how to do that and it isn’t a huge pain I might as well use the Noloco DB and get the fastest page updates available.

Just started looking into this, maybe I’m missing something obvious. I wanted to test the Noloco formula fields and I created a new table. I have one field as an number, a formula field called plusOne… This adds 1 to whatever is in the number field, and another formula field called plusTwo, which I want to add 2 to whatever is in the plusOne field but I don’t give the option to select the plusOne field in the formula.
Can we not include other formula fields in formulas?

The intention was to see how fast the fields update when I change the number field but I ran into this issue.

Not at the moment no, but this is absolutely something we hope to support in the future!